Empowering health: nutrition resources
The Enterhealth approach to sustainable sobriety is holistic – integrating all components of a healthy lifestyle. This includes powerful tools to help change the emotional, physical, spiritual and nutritional habits that may hinder recovery.
Since addiction can deplete the body’s essential nutrients, diet plays a critical role in rehabilitation. That’s why we address each patient’s unique combination of challenges – including addiction levels, abuse patterns, co-occurring conditions, as well as possible malnutrition issues.
Key nutritional priorities that propel recovery:
- Avoid sweets. Stabilize blood sugar levels, and help reduce mood swings, anxiety and depression. We limit desserts to three meals a week but supplement with yogurt and fruit.
- Increase protein. Amino acids found in lean meats and seafood provide valuable building blocks for the brain’s neurotransmitters – often disrupted by addiction.
- Increase fiber. Fresh fruits and cruciferous vegetables support optimal gastrointestinal health and overall wellbeing.
- Add more healthy fats. Not all fats are bad. As part of a balanced diet, they provide necessary fatty acids, soften your skin, deliver fat-soluble vitamins and enhance your energy.
- Limit refined carbohydrates. Substitute whole grains.
- Reduce processed foods. Liver repair is a critical piece of the sobriety process, and artificial ingredients can inhibit detoxification and healing.
- Limit caffeine. Since caffeine can trigger insomnia and anxiety, often present in the early stages of sobriety, we offer flavored waters full of vitamins and natural sweetness.
Our chef selects the freshest, most wholesome and delicious foods available to maximize nutritional value. However, an occasional off-diet treat has motivational value, as well. We enjoy celebratory “Burger Nights” – and get creative with traditional comfort foods prepared with smarter ingredients. Plus, we are fully equipped to accommodate any special dietary needs.
Practical nutrition is a core component of the Enterhealth continuum-of-care philosophy. We coordinate and customize a complete range of treatment protocols to eliminate drug or alcohol cravings and heal the brain — for a lifetime.
Benefits of a high-fiber diet:
- Resist cancer
- Ease depression
- Relieve pain
- Strengthen and protect your heart
- Increase disease-fighting antioxidants
- Deter and eliminate dangerous toxins
- Moderate Type II Diabetes and Insulin Resistance (IR)
- Prevent or manage helicobacter pylori (H. pylori) digestive disorders
- Minimize Alzheimer’s disease risk
- Reduce inflammation